Printing Terminology T-W

Printing Terminology T-W

Printing Terminology T-W: London EC1, EC2, EC3, EC4, N1.

Generic term for number of different binding styles in which the sections of a book are held together by threads which are looped through holes punches on the binding edge of the printed sections.  Usually used for prestige publications, or for instances where the presence of wire stitches is deemed unacceptable.


The percentage of a solid used to achieve a visual shade of colour.


Short for ‘typographical error’ – a mistake in the copy.

U – Printing Terminology and Facts:


Plain paper which has no coating.


V – Printing Terminology and Facts:

A special varnish that has undergone an accelerated drying process using ultra violet light which is applied to printed matter to enhance its appearance.  A gloss UV varnish is commonly used and this gives a very shiny effect, although matt finishes are also available.  Can be applied to specific areas of a sheet only, when it is termed a spot u/v varnish.


Special varnishes applied to printed matter to protect literature from ink smudging or finger marking, or to enhance appearance. There are four main types – sealer, gloss, matt and UV.  Varnishes are commonly used on matt or silk coated paper, as these types are more prone to smudging than gloss coated paper. Varnish applied to a specific area of a document is known as spot varnish and when it is applied to the whole document it is termed as an overall varnish (or less commonly as a flood varnish). The difference between a varnish and a coating is that varnishes take longer to dry, but are better when applied to a specific area of a document.


A preliminary layout of a document indicating the general design and the position of the various elements.

W – Printing Terminology and Facts:


Presses, which are fed by paper from a reel as distinct from separate sheets.  They are normally used for low quality, high run work.


Colour proofs produced using the same printing plates, paper and ink that will be used to print the final job.


Method of binding loose leaves (most commonly found on calendars) where a pre-formed double strand of wire is looped through holes punched on the binding edge of the leaves and then clenched to form a closed circle.  Should not be confused with spiral binding.

Brad Malone

Leave a reply